Paravaannam / Paramannam
Rice dessert (kheer / paayasam) from Andhra Pradesh. Recipe from Simply South by Chandra Padmanabhan.
Serves: 4 - 6
Soaking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
Half cup rice (100 – 125 g)
7-8 cups full cream milk
2 tablespoon sago (sabudana)
One-and-a-half cups powdered jaggery (melted and sieved jaggery)
3 tablespoon ghee
3 tablespoon cashew nuts, halved (optional)
2 tablespoon seedless raisins (kishmish) (optional)
Half teaspoon powdered green cardamom
1. Wash rice and drain. Soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Place milk in a heavy-based pan over high heat and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes till reduced by about one-third.
3. Add sago and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Mix in rice and simmer for at least 15-20 minutes till tender.
5. In another pan combine jaggery and quarter cup water. Cook and stir till jaggery dissolves. Strain jaggery through a muslin cloth into payasam.
6. Meanwhile, heat one and a half tbsp ghee in a frying pan over moderate heat and fry cashew nuts till golden. Drain and set aside.
7. Add remaining ghee to pan and fry raisins till they puff up. Drain and set aside.
8. Add cashew nuts, raisins (optional) and powdered cardamoms to payasam. Simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Serve hot or chilled.