May 8, 2010

Instructions after a Tooth Extraction



Tooth Extraction

What is it ?

Tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the bone.

What's the reason for tooth extraction ?

If a tooth has been damaged by decay or a fracture, your dentist will try to repair it and restore it with a filling, crown or other treatment. Sometimes, though, the damage is too extensive for the tooth to be repaired. This is the most common reason for extracting a tooth.

Instructions after a Tooth Extraction

Bite on the cotton roll for at least one hour.

Do not spit but swallow the saliva.

After one hour, remove the cotton and take soft cold food ( eg ) ice cream, non carbonated cool drinks or fruit juice.

First dose of medicine should be taken after you remove the cotton. Medicines to be taken as instructed by the doctor.

Restrict yourself to cold liquid diet for 12 hours. Have soft diet from next day.

Do not smoke or drink alcohol for the next 24 hours.

Avoid hard, hot and spicy foods for the next 2 - 3 days.

Avoid chewing on the side of extraction for the next 2 - 3 days.

Swelling on the face / cheek is a normal occurrence after surgical removal of tooth. It will subside in 3 - 4 days.

You can start brushing your tooth from next day. Avoid tooth brush injury to the extracted side.

Do not gargle forcefully. Have gentle mouth washes.

If stitches have been placed, you should come back after a week for removal of stitches.

In case of emergency, Contact Doctor.

Source - Colgate
Photo Credit - 123 photos

3 comments:

motherrimmy said...

Not fun. I went through a tooth extraction not too long ago. Hope you are on the mend. :)

Unknown said...

It seems that I need to prepare myself for a strict diet. I'll be having my tooth extraction in November. I'm so nervous. I'll be having a party next month, yet it seems that it'll be a fierce control between me and my dentist. Germantown, TN will be a great place to have my 23th birthday, yet I need to live with the burden of food control. Thanks for the tips.

Anonymous said...

Superb blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm
a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Many thanks!
Feel free to surf my site ; patterson dental supply